

As the nurse started to remove the cast with the fancy cast remover "saw" Gabe was still doing great...he was not scared at all throught removal of his cast! I was feeling more twinges of excitement as it grew closer to the monumental moment of getting the cast officially off!
When we finally got to the point when the nurse officially pulled off the last piece of the cast, Gabe yelled out a very loud scream not in excitment, but in pain! And then proceeded to yell, "PUT IT BACK ON, MOMMY!" As he was sobbing in fear and pain. It broke my heart to see him in pain. The nurse had not expected this reaction and neither did I. The doctor came and explained that his reaction is normal. The fact that he has had his cast on for almost 8 weeks, makes it hard on his leg to be free from the cast. He said that his leg will be stiff and that along with just the newness of having the cast off can scare children...and they can have a reaction like Gabe. I brough Gabe home and finally convinced him to take a bath. His leg was covered in dead skin and he surprisingly has a very hairy leg! Gabe things it looks like his Daddy's leg hair! We took a long bath and after a day of trying "new things" Gabe is now walking again! He does have a limp in his walk and the doctor said he would be limping for a couple of weeks.
Tonight, this is how Gabe looked after a day of many ups and downs!

I am so proud of how well Gabe has done through this entire injury! He has been a very brave boy and had such a good attitude about his cast and broken femur bone. And so, I announce todday, on Grandma Oliver's birthday today is the official start to Summer as far as The Gates Family is concerned! We are excited run, jump, swing, swim and play for the rest of summer! And, Gabe needs to get some color on his pale, hairy leg!

1 comment:
Poor little guy. I'm happy he has his cast off (finally!) and hopefully the next couple of weeks won't be so bad for him, while he learns to live without the cast.
He is much better than I ever was in the doctors office.
I remember one time I had to get a shot in my neck, so I ran out of the office screaming. My mom, the nurse, and the doctor chased me for an hour and had to hold me down, while I was sobbing, so the doctor could give me the shot.
I was 21 years old. NOT KIDDING!
So yeah, Gabe is very brave and mature as far as I'm concerned!! Hehe. ;)
Post a Comment